Tuesday, September 14, 2010
glory & shame
1. The first Greek lover of wisdom, interested in disentangling science and knowledge from magic and myth, is widely said to have been ______.
2. __________ asserted the existence of natural law and speculated that humans had evolved from fish, 2,400+ years before Darwin.
3. (T/F) Pythagoras, the first deductive reasoner to derive interesting conclusions from self-evident axioms, defended a theory of cosmic harmony while rejecting superstition and mysticism.
4. Because everything is in a state of flux, said __________, you can't step in the same river twice. By this he meant that _______________...
5. The golden age of classical antiquity was not entirely advanced or progressive. In particular, the treatment of _______, ________, and ___________ in ancient Greece was primitive and unenlightened.
6. __________ "discovered air" and said change was a function of love and strife.
7. Democritus and Leucippus were the first ________.