Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Secret of Life

My colleagues and I are being prompted to firm up our Fall '11 course plans, so I'm again soliciting your suggestions on my survey.

And here's another candidate:

__ The Secret of Life. Rhonda Byrne says "The Secret" is a law of attraction: the universe wants you to be rich and happy in every way you desire, you just have to put it out there. James Taylor (among other philosopher-poets) says the secret is enjoying the passing of time. William James said it's attention, and the ability to find satisfaction and sufficiency in the present moment. Albert Camus said "real generosity towards the future lies in giving all to the present." Barbara Ehrenreich says all of these attitudes are much too positively "bright."  This course will examine these and other perspectives. Could the secret be that there is no secret?


From FoL to SoL? It's not the greatest of acronyms (or is it just me, reminded of "S*t outta Luck"?) but I do like the symmetry of it, and the trajectory: back from the future.





No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News