Tuesday, December 7, 2010

promotion

It was an interesting day in my little corner of academia, yesterday.

First the good news:
On-campus Memo from Dean, College of Liberal Arts
"After careful consideration, I have recommended that you be promoted to the rank of Associate Professor..."
Then the reality check, at the Faculty Senate meeting. A review of the "2011-12 State Appropriations Distribution Recommendation" shows our campus being, as our Senate President put it, "reamed" by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission's funding formula. No other school in our system comes close to suffering a $565,000+ "redistribution." UT-Knoxville, on the other hand, is a big winner. Our loss is their gain, almost precisely.

What a surprise.

I'm grateful for my personal promotion, but my institution could stand some more effective promoting too.

No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News