Saturday, December 11, 2010

Belmont

My wife asked the other day if I wasn't glad they didn't hire me at Belmont U., all those years ago, after reading about the soccer coach they fired for being gay. [Nashville Scene] But they did, before they didn't.

My sin, back in December '98, was confessing my occasional attendance at services of the Unitarian church. The Belmont provost rescinded my hire the day after. A stir of publicity ensued, and students weighed in with letters to the editor of their campus paper offering moral support. But nobody's ever offered to bring me back. They needn't bother.

Yes, I said. I am glad. But I feel bad for my friends on the Belmont faculty, too. As I said back then, Belmont enjoys an undeserved reputation for being an open, accepting, ecumenical institution of higher learning. In the years since, that reputation has grown. It's still false, and my faculty brethren at Belmont deserve much better than to be saddled with the constant threat of meddling ideological intrusion and the violation of their academic freedom.

And there, but for the grace of God...
==
Post-script. This story has made the New York Times

1 comment:

Unknown said...

“Scott, things arn’t as happy as they used to be down here at the unemployment office. Joblessness isn’t just for Philosophy majors anymore; USEFUL people are now starting to feel the pinch.”

-Kent Brockman
Reporting live on the consequences of the economic slump
Springfield Evening News

Thanks for a great semester, Dr. Oliver. I, for one, am glad that Belmont is myopic enough to have refused to hire you.
And Brockman’s brand of Pragmatism be damned!

-Harrison

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News