Thursday, May 14, 2009

How you play

He's probably Murfreesboro, Tennessee's most accomplished son, but whenever I ask many locals - and not just students, who often are in but not of the place of their matriculation - if they've noticed his commemorative marker at the corner of College and Spring, which I drive by every day on my way to school, most say "Who?" Grantland Rice, Dean of American Sports Writers, baseball poet, and champion of fair play and good sportsmanship, that's who. I thought of him last night at my daughter's softball game, when I was tabbed to be Official Scorer.*

It's important to read the signs along your way. And it really does matter how you play the game.

grantland rice.
*"For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost -
But how you played the Game."

No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News