Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"What Makes Us Happy?"

A nice Atlantic piece in the June edition asks the perennial question (thanks for the link, Amanda) and reports the results of Harvard psychological researcher George Vaillant's lifetime case-study attempts to answer it. Vaillant is the grandfather of Positive Psychology:

"Driven by a savvy, brilliant psychologist at the University of Pennsylvania named Martin Seligman, the movement to create a scientific study of the good life has spread wildly through academia and popular culture (dozens of books, a cover story in Time, attention from Oprah, etc.)."

And it's spread to me. I'll be teaching "The Philosophy of Happiness" this Fall. If I find the secret I promise to share it. In the meantime, I'll continue to operate on the assumption that happiness - perhaps occasionally punctuated by transcendence - is best pursued in ordinary ways. Bertrand Russell is a very good source on this, as is Monty Python. They were talking about the meaning of life, but it's really the same question and I like the answer: try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

It works for me.

No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News