Wednesday, April 28, 2010

So long

When you're tired of final report presentations you're tired of life. I don't want them to end. Yesterday's were outstanding, again. 


Miso's latest interview reinforced our darkest fears about Islamic intransigence and opacity, but I'm clinging to the hope implicit in Greg Mortenson's humane vision: educate the women, and eventually the young men-- their sons-- will stop incinerating themselves and our world. Meanwhile, let's see what we can do about those pick-ups with their confederate flags and their blustery Know-Nothing patriotism.


Elizabeth and Miranda tried to share The Secret with us. I admit, I'm not the most open and receptive audience for that. I've tried, especially at home; but I'm too pragmatic to think that a wishing-cap world is more than a pipe-dream. I do agree that positive thinking is good, when it motivates positive action.


Kyle and Matt gave us their version of the atheism-spirituality synthesis. There was nothing in it to dispute, so far as I'm concerned. Once again my boy Dewey got a shout-out. Spirituality is all about human connectedness across time and space, "the continuous human community" etc. That's what I've been talkin' about!


And then Dean graced us with a poem, the last stanza of which provides a perfect coda:
So rest my friend this final day,
 Your body's all that's gone.
Your Spirit lives in memories,
For now, Old Friend, "So long."
I'm so glad we had this time together... 

But "There is no conclusion. What has concluded, that we might conclude in regard to it? There are no fortunes to be told, and there is no advice to be given.--Farewell!"


Sapere aude!







No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News