Saturday, April 3, 2010

conscience

What another of my favorite novelists, Wallace Stegner, believed in...
Conscience, not as something implanted by divine act, but as something learned from infancy from the tradition and society which has bred us...Man is a great enough creature and a great enough enigma to deserve both our pride and our compassion, and engage our fullest sense of mystery. I shall certainly never do as much with my life as I want to, and I shall sometimes fail miserably to live up to my conscience, whose word I do not distrust even when I can’t obey it. But I am terribly glad to be alive...
He was a Humean: social tradition rules, and mostly rules well. Except when it doesn't. Everyone should read Angle of Repose, Crossing to Safety, Spectator Bird... 

No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News