Sunday, February 7, 2010

marching in

Saints 31, Colts 17. I know just how you feel, Colts fans, and I offer sincerest condolences-- even though I am on public record as having picked this result. Rest assured, the sun will come up tomorrow. I've suffered more than a few of "my team's" losses in the Big Game through the years. It hurts more to share the loss, the earlier the attachment was formed... just as the thrill of victory is ever-more ecstatic when you can trace your allegiance to a time when you did not understand that it's only a game. Childhood is a time of intense loyalty and faith, for excellent evolutionary reasons. Is it worth it? Is it a good model for how to think about victories and losses in life generally? I don't know. 


I do know that we all want to be in that number, and that we all can't be, any more than we can all be above average. Alas.


But wait 'til next year, and get ready for Spring Training.

No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News