Sunday, December 6, 2009

summer of '84


For all my football fan friends who are moping about the Titans' loss to the Colts this afternoon: it's not too late to tune in, on the MLB network cable channel, to the fabled "Sandberg" game between the Cubs and Cards, June 23, 1984. It won't turn out well for "my team" but that's ok, nobody will incur life-threatening internal injury either.

I loved that lineup: L. Smith, O. Smith, W. McGee et al... and I love hearing Bob Costas and Tony Kubek doing the Game of the Week together again, too. What's especially weird, btw: I can recall exactly where I was when this game was "live": on my Dad's living room floor, during an extended summer visit. Really seems like yesterday. There were no Titans then, and hope was still alive for Fritz Mondale.

And now Ryno's an old grampa, with his plaque in Cooperstown and with all his marbles intact.

No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News