Monday, November 23, 2009

Dawkins' rainbow

Another of the books we'll spend time with in "Atheism & Spirituality": Richard Dawkins' 1991 ode to the joys and wonders of science, Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion, and the Appetite for Wonder. Dawkins explicitly rejects the loose charge of nihilism and passionless materialism, and rises to make a Sagan-esque case for science as a richer source of spirituality than any mainstream religion. (reviews)

Here he is reading a selection from its early pages, one that he and others have said they'll stipulate for inclusion in their funeral services. I don't like to think too much about that myself, but I suppose I wouldn't mind including it either. (Well, I won't be minding anything, will I?-- Unless I can manage a Tom Sawyer-style appearance, correcting exaggerated reports of my demise...)

No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News