Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Little Houses (postscript)



It would be a serious omission to speak of Little Houses (as I did in the previous post) but not to mention Thoreau's cabin at Walden. So, consider it duly mentioned.


Thoreau's only regret, Michael Pollan noted in A Place of My Own, was not putting a taller roof on it: "you want room for your thoughts to get into sailing trim... Our sentences want room to unfold."

And that's all the hook I need for this pic:



This was pre-new roof, of course. But for just a few minutes at least, my thoughts did have plenty of room to unfold, to follow the "centrifugal impulse... reaching out into the surrounding landscape." The trick is to do that with the roof on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil, I'm envious of your little house. It's kind of like a "secular poustinia" -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poustinia. Gustav Mahler composed many of his great works in such a house. Unfortunately, my suburban plot of land (30' x 130'), scattered with kids' toys and a shed, just doesn't provide enough room for one!

Anonymous said...

I like the open-air look.
"The Me that was me, and is being held back by the I that I am, is coming out all over my face."

I get that right?

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News