PW Quiz 9-18
1. "Hindu" means _______________; its central trinity of Gods consists of ______, ______, and ______ (the god of destruction).
2. "Brahman" means the ___________ beneath all appearances, supposedly knowable through mysticism, meditation, and the practice of spiritual self-discipline known as what? The blissful experience of ultimate reality is called what?
3. How did the Hebrew account of creation differ from most, particularly that of the Greeks? What "radical new wrinkle" is proposed in the 19th century?
4. It is mainly from Zoroastrianism that we inherit the philosophical problem of evil, the question of what? Which divine attribute is central to the problem?
5. The Biblical book of Genesis suggests that evil came into the world through what? Does this address the problem of "natural evil"?
6. (T/F) God's response to Job, in the Biblical account, resolves the problem of evil and accounts adequately for suffering in the world by demanding faith without understanding.
7. (T/F) The existence of a powerful, malevolent, satanic demon or "Devil" is rationally compatible with the existence of an omnipotent, omniscient, morally perfect God.
8. What's the worst, saddest, most painful or tragic thing you've ever experienced, or heard about? Do you believe it may have been "for the best"? Why (not)?