1. Who were the classic American thinkers? What did they come to realize about "progress"? How did they "converge" with Black Elk? What was their response to Cartesian modernism?
2. "________ is the earth, the sky, our bodily selves in the surprisingly full amplitude of their ensemble. It is the hidden centrality of the earth." (5)
3. Where do pragmatists say we must begin, in our philosophizing? What is the "American evasion of philosophy"?
4.To what esteemed indigenous figure does Wilshire compare William James? What does James "put us in touch with"?
5. James's emphasis on pure experience and rejection of truth-as-correspondence points to the future, and to what else?
6. What did John Dewey mean by "quality" in experience? What was his view of consciousness?