Friday, June 12, 2009

Recovered time

I finally set up email filters to sort my incoming email into folders, including a really big one that catches all the traffic from school. It being summer, days passed as I forgot to look at my school mail. I was pleasantly stumped as to why I seemed to have a lot more time on my hands. Then I remembered. Then I made myself “forget” again. It's really not healthy to be online all the time, even though Steven Johnson thinks Twitter is the greatest thing since, what, Facebook? "What your friends had for breakfast is more interesting than it sounds." (Ironically, he says this in Time.) No, it's really not. I agree that there's something positive in the phenomenon of trying to find new ways to connect and communicate, but there comes a time when it's healthier to push away from the keyboard and maybe even pull the plug. That time comes daily, repeatedly, and coincidentally with the draining of my coffee mug. Time to walk the doggies. Later it'll be time to hit the hammock. Soon it'll be time to hit the road. Somewhere in there I'll find the time to get some work done, I promise.

No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News