Thursday, June 11, 2009

Facebook?

I set up a Facebook account several weeks ago with no conscious intent to use it any time soon, but just because, oh, I don't know, just because it would be nice to keep in touch with distant friends. But many of my closest friends in the actual world have not done the same, so I'm getting solicitations to befriend casual acquaintances, former students, and even strangers (some of whom might turn out to be "friends I haven't met yet," you never know). I have a very warm regard for many of these folks, but I'm not sure I need another layer of virtual experience in my life. That is, I'm willing to trade some fraction of time and attention for the opportunity to re-establish lost connections with old friends, and the idea of "making new friends while keeping the old" is another childhood verse worth heeding. But, as my friend was saying just the other day, face-to-face, I'm not sure I want to make that commitment at this time. I feel as though I'm already networked pretty thin.

So, to all who've extended the tentative hand of Facebook friendship: thanks, I'll get back to you on that. (Maybe read some Aristotle & Epicurus & Emerson on the topic.) But I do appreciate the overture.

No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News