Thursday, October 29, 2009

therapy

Speaking of good books...

Thomas spoke movingly the other day of his Dad's health challenges, after a serious automobile accident years ago, and of his attempts to apply some of the happiness strategies we've discussed this semester (savoring, listing points of gratitude, etc.) in a therapeutic way.

I was reminded of one of my favorite novels, Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose. The hero of that story is an older man, bound to a wheel-chair, but still sharp and imaginatively free. His physical mobility lost, he turns to family history to occupy his days and fill his heart. In the process he learns essential things about his grandmother, his son, and his own place in the strata of time.

And then, something completely different: Will showed some of my favorite Python clips including the Bright Side crucifixion scene and the Galaxy Song. If I ever find myself confined to quarters, I'm pretty sure the Pythons will still be good therapy.

No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News