Monday, January 14, 2013

Even thinking?

When is the last time you did absolutely nothing for 10 whole minutes? Not texting, talking or even thinking? 
That's a tough one. One person's "nothing" is another's deep thought.



Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits... I forget who said that, but I get the point of Andy's TEd question. I try to blank out for at least ten minutes every time I go for a walk. It's thera-petic.

As Professor James put it:

“We are stuffed with abstract conceptions, and glib with verbalities and verbosities; and in the culture of these higher functions the peculiar sources of joy connected with our simpler functions often dry up, and we grow stone-blind and insensible to life’s more elementary and general goods and joys.”
And that’s why he praised ”the happiness of both thinking of nothing and doing nothing.”

I’ll keep practicing.

No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News