Monday, April 16, 2012

A professor of sustainability

I mostly agree with my MTSU colleague, Professor Smith_Walters:
“My goal is to get people to think. If they’re thinking, they’re asking questions,” Smith-Walters said. “They don’t have to agree with me.  I want them to be able to defend their answer. It’s when we’re using emotions and anger rather than logic that we get into problems with each other in making decisions.”
But emotion and anger have their place. Our Fall environmental ethics course will wonder about that, and about the activist impulse that motivates some to action more effectively than incremental change (like recycling) at the level of consumer behavior.

As I've always wanted to ask a Vulcan, or a Stoic:

If all we had was logic, why would we care about Mother Earth (or anything else) at all?

A professor of sustainability: 'via Blog this'

No comments:

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News