Saturday, July 26, 2008

Randy Pausch

Professor Randy Pausch, whose "last lecture" and high-profile struggle with pancreatic cancer won wide admiration and sympathy, died yesterday.

I passed my copy of Randy’s book along to my Dad, recently diagnosed with leukemia. He was moved and inspired by it, as was I. We agreed that for a young man with small children to muster such a courageous response to a terminal diagnosis - stoical but also joyous and celebratory - is truly heroic. I’m so grateful that Randy was willing to share his story and his example with the world.

1 comment:

Mister Jimmy said...

Hey Phil!
I was Googling some Goober lines to get exact text and one of the first hits was your blog!
I agree about the Pausch. The entire video of that address, by the way, is on youtube. Makes for an interesting experience since the book, I think, is a transcript of the lecture.
I thought of Goober yesterday when I read the following bit of wisdom from a 15 year-old: "Be all you can be to be a better you, because only you can be you, in the end."
Wonder what Floyd would say to that? (Hah! I think we both know.)

KurzweilAI.net Accelerating Intelligence News